Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Special Lady...

This isn't an Eric post. On Monday my parents, Eric and I drove across town in a snow storm to say goodbye to one of my most favorite ladies... Aunt Mickey. She passed away February 11, a month shy of her 84th birthday. Like many of those who knew her, we were all blessed to have had her in our lives.

For those of you who don't who she is, Mickey was my mom's oldest brother Carl's wife. They have four children, who each have four children, plus seven great-grand children. After Mickey remarried, she gained ten step-children and many step-grandchildren. So, she had a large family! Mickey was a very active lady before cancer slowed her down. Besides her family, she was active with the senior center, bus trips, hospital thrift store and her favorite, bowling.

Mickey gave me a place to live for eight months when I left New York and my parents, to come to Cincinnati while I looked for a new job. I was her "cellar dweller." While she made us dinner, I became her personal secretary. She received lots of phone calls! I'm very thankful for her hospitality and the love she gave me while I started a new life.

I'm very thankful that I was able to see Mickey before she passed away. When I heard she wasn't doing well I was afraid I wouldn't get the chance to see her again. My parents and I were able to visit with her three weeks ago, and I am so grateful that we were able spend those few hours with her. When I hugged her goodbye, she whispered "I love you" in my ear. I think she knew it would be the last time we'd see each other. I'm not sure if she heard my "I love you too" because I was choked up trying not to cry. When I told this to Mom, she told me we'd see her again, but I knew in my heart it I wouldn't. I'll forever hold on to that sweet memory.


Aunt Mickey will be buried in Arlington Nation Cemetery, with Uncle Carl, next week. Uncle Carl said that he wanted her to go first so he wouldn't be looking up at her a.. backside for eternity. (They stack the coffins of spouses to save room.)

So, here are a few pictures, taken in the past few years, of "Our Wild Irish Rose"...


Eunice "Mickey" Forney
March 15, 1926 - February 11, 2010











3 comments:

InWeighOverMyHead said...

so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a GREAT lady.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the memories. She was a very special Lady and friend. I will truly miss her also. Now I need a hankie...

Liz said...

I am so sorry for your loss! You made me cry! I am sure you will see her again, to her it will be a blink of an eye to you years!

Blessings

Liz