Friday, September 12, 2008

Knows what he likes...knows what he wants

Where to start? Since recovering from his cold, Eric eats like a champ! No problems getting those 10TBS down, he's actually eating more than that now. He loves his fruit, especially the "exotic" Gerber ones, mango and the banana/orange medley.
It's hard to believe that on Thursday it was a year since Eric had his 5 month "overhaul." That was a hard morning watching him being wheeled back into surgery for his double hernia repair, g-tube placement, nissen and circumsion. He had fallen asleep before the nurse could put on a hospital gown. He looked so cute in the orange jack-o-lantern sleeper (his orange and black for the Bengals Monday night football game, which they lost) and so tiny on that big gurney. I was in tears watching him being wheeled away. Even though he wasn't officially ours yet, that was MY baby being taken away.
He "sees" a lot more too. We were in Target on Wednesday, wondering around, because they are remodeling I can't find anything. Anyway, he saw the cold food case and started pointing, not sure what he saw, didn't stop to see what it was he wanted. Picked up the toy I wanted to get him, walked down other toy aisles, no response...until we hit the jackpot. Oh, did he get excited when he saw the Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger toys. I let him hold Tigger, put it back, and then Pooh, put it back. Then he got to hold a Handy Manny toy, he turned and put that in cart, stinker. I let him hold a few other toys, which he put in the cart. While he was distracted, I put everything back on the shelf and we left with just what I came in for, no fussing. Not sure how long I'll be able to get away with that! Next we stopped to pick up a couple of pairs of socks for him, got excited over those too. He's very into socks and shoes, this usually means we are going out. Took a wrong turn heading to checkout and ended up in women's socks, he got excited there too, only it wasn't the socks he was pointing to...panty hose!

After Target we stopped at Kroger for a few groceries, one being yogurt for him, he liked that! When we got home Eric dug into the bag and removed a carton of yogurt, smiled, giggled and handed it to me. Do you think he was trying to tell me something? Besides the fact that it was past dinner time? I gave him a few bites while I fixed his dinner. When it came time to eat he wanted no part of his (pureed) stew, just yogurt. I just told him he could have that instead of fruit AFTER he ate dinner and I put the yogurt in the refrigerator. Not happy! I heated up my stew and buttered a piece of bread. He got interested in the bread, so he got little, bitty pieces. I was able to dip a few pieces in the stew and feed him. Nope wanted just the bread. So, then I started to put pieces of bread on top of the spoonfuls of stew, making sure he saw it. He ate it all and then proceeded to eat his green beans with bread. Eventually he got his yogurt.
The speech therapists are offering different ways to get Eric to drink more, especially milk. Yesterday, one came up with trying it warmed up a little, that seemed to help a little. I got out a different sippy cup that's even helped a little. If we can get him to drink his milk, hopefully we can begin to wean him off of his breakfast and 11pm tube feedings.

Eric is starting to know his routines. He's pretty good with bedtime. After bath/diaper/jammers/teeth brushed are done we usually relax and play/read. He gets his Pooh cuddle blanket and carries it around, tosses it, picks it up and comes cuddle with me on the floor, repeat numerous times until he's just about to fall asleep or it's bedtime. I'll tell him it's time for bed and he'll either walk to his room or toss Pooh and reach to be picked up. Which means I bend over so he can pick Pooh up then head to bed. We say prayers, he gets kisses, put in crib and I kiss my hand and then rub my hand across his forehead, brushing his hair. "Goodnight"

The other night, I told him it was time to brush teeth and he went into our bathroom and pointed to my medicine cabinet. He knew where his tooth brush was! He's not too fond of this part of getting ready for bed, but he's better. I think part is that the brush bothers his gums where those teeth, that just don't seem to want to come in, are sore. I'm lucky if we get to brush for 30 seconds.


A couple fo pics from this week...

Ready to be crucified...
Rambo Baby...


And Monster Kitty with baby stinky shoes, oh how he loves stinky shoes!

Here is 5 minutes (sorry so long) of typical Eric, wandering from one thing to another. I think I counted 14 things he "played" with...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He needs more toys... and a maid.

Lisa said...

I love the story of him puting the toys in the cart. He knows what to do... lol I also LOVE the pic of him sprawled out in bed. Too funny!