Sunday, August 10, 2008

A litte history

Yesterday we decided because it was such a nice day, not 90+ degrees and humid, that we needed to get out and do something. So, the three of us ended up taking a nice drive and visited the birthplace of our 18th President, Ulysses S. Grant. He was born in this one room, 16x20, cabin (now 3 rooms) in Point Pleasant, Ohio on April 27, 1822.



His birth name was actually Hiram Ulysses Grant. But, a congressman accidentally misnamed him Ulysses S. Grant (his mother's maiden name was Simpson) when he nominated Grant to the US Military Academy at West Point. He was not allowed to make the correction since that was the name he was nominated under, so he continued to use the name Ulysses S. Grant. This house once toured the country on a railway flatcar and was temporarily displayed on the Ohio State fairgrounds. Just a small bit of history for ya!


Eric next to a reproduction cradle, that I believe I once stood next to many moons ago. There should be a picture of me next to it somewhere at my parents house. I need to find it and post it with Eric's and the one of the two of us...

The clothes on the wall are authentic period clothing, except for the bonnet. The leather trunk in the casing, at the foot of the bed, was made by Grant's father.


This cabinet was owned by Grant's parent's...

This is a cool piece of furniture. You can see, on the left side facing, the rail on the front of the rocker, this is where a mother would place her baby while she sat, on the right side facing, and rocked the baby while she tended to her sewing, knitting or whatever. If there was company and extra seating was needed, the rail could be taken off.

My boys and the cannon out front. I was the champion cannon climber/sitter when I was little. I sat on just about every cannon in every historical place we visited. So, the tradition goes on with Eric. Too bad at most places you can't climb on cannons anymore.


And finally, Eric taking a break checking out the straps on the stroller, making sure they are in proper working order...


Oh, and a picture of the Ohio River, at the mouth of the Big Indian Creek, just down the street from Grant's birthplace.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow. Thanks for taking me on that trip with you! :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I do think I remember a little pain in the rear back in the 70's... I think Mike wanted to shove you down a cannon and see how far you would fly.
Ahhh... the good ole days.
Oh yea, the tunes need to be updated.