Saturday, August 9, 2008

So Proud

Eric is far from eating orally exclusively, but he has made such strides in the last month. From taking little tastes off our fingers while we ate in restaurants in May, to coming up to and getting tastes, to pointing and wanting actual bites of food. The past couple of days he has actually taken quite a bit, for him. I still say it's because I took the initiative and started putting baby/pureed food in his g-tube. Thursday, for lunch he ate close to 3 oz, barely anything for dinner, but that's the most he's taken at one sitting. Yesterday, he did great. I'm guessing between lunch and dinner he had 6 oz.

I'm becoming the puree queen. Eric isn't into texture too much. That's OK. I'd rather puree up real food and have him eat it than turn away food because it has lumps in it or rely totally on the g-tube. Besides the peas, carrots, green beans, zucchini, peaches and pears that I've pureed for his tube feedings, I'm taking meals that I've made and doing the same, so he can eat what we have had. So, I have blended up pepper steak w/macaroni, topsy turvy pie (minus the pie) w/macaroni, macaroni and cheese (he likes it much better than that nasty Gerber stuff!), macaroni and Uncle David's spaghetti sauce and last night I did chicken caccatori w/macaroni, which he'll have for dinner tonight.

He does seem like tomato based foods best. It's just so cool to see him finally wanting to eat, albeit not a whole lot, but he's doing it. Shoot, he ate close to half of what he should be doing orally yesterday for lunch and dinner. I should try a little harder at breakfast. He will eat yogurt while I fix the syringes and while I feed him. It's, maybe, about an ounce, ounce and a half. I liked it when he went to his high chair at lunch yesterday wanting to get in. I had just pureed up the mac and cheese, which he was taking spoonfuls of as he wondered about the kitchen. Guess he figured he was hungry and needed to do some serious eating and needed to sit down. That was cute. Hopefully he continues this trend so we can get rid of the g-tube in the next year. That would be awesome!

No comments: