Sunday, October 5, 2008

New things we can do...

This will be mainly about the new things Eric is doing. He's accomplished a few things this week, mostly in the climbing department. He has started to climb on the baskets in the den and his toy baskets in the living room, only problem, he can't get back down. So, mama has to help, either picking him up, which is the easy way, or make him do the movements...sit down, turn around and down or just sit and slip off.






Well, actually he has now figured out how to get down. He's also discovered that "I can get to higher places if I use the baskets as steps." He climbed up onto the arm of a chair and rolled over the pillow and onto the seat. I was there to keep him from rolling all the way off. I've moved that basket and he hasn't moved it back.


A boy and his Pooh Bear.
This past week at Grandma and Grandpa's, Eric was standing at the couch looking at Grandma and me, getting very red in the face. Of course we both knew what was up and started to laugh. He stopped his grunting/concentration and let out a little giggle, then continued on doing his duty, grunts and red faced. Too funny!
Eric goes up the stairs like a champ, it's the coming down! He has started to go up a few and get down on his own, but not all the way. Must be all the practice of getting off the baskets. He still prefers to be carried or to have his hand held and attempt to go down like a big boy. Except that he still steps off into space.
The little riding car he got for Christmas has become a big hit. He's so funny when he gets on. At first, he was getting on it facing rear. Because he always leads with his right foot, he just ended up that way. He also gets off with his right foot, then he circles the car to get back on. He doesn't push himself yet, well a little, backwards. He'll sit there and grunt and call for someone to come and push him.
Eric is observant. He found a little piece of paper the other day. Came into the kitchen and opened, as far as could, child locks ya know, one of the cabinets under the sink in order to throw the paper away. Our garbage bag is under the sink. It was the wrong door, but he had the right idea! I opened the other door so he could throw it away and then thanked him.
He's starting to take only one nap a day. So, now he's getting a small morning and afternoon snack. That was added because A) he's not napping at what would be a good snack time for him and B) at his last check up he hasn't gained any weight, still 21 lbs. He's taller but the kid is so darn active he's using up all those calories. His heart condition also makes him use more calories. So, we need to get more into him. Cheerios are becoming a favorite thing. It's one food he'll feed himself. He did feed himself a couple of pieces of biscuit tonight. Maybe I ought to try pancakes, he likes those!


Here he is Sunday, after his second successful attempt at climbing onto a kitchen chair.

The video is starting with his third time climbing onto the chair. Love the grunts!

I started this post a few days ago. I wasn't going to finish it, but finish up what I had left to write on another post. But, I need to do something to keep my mind off my little man. Eric is running a 104 degree fever, so mommy is worried about her baby. Urgent care nurse (and Grandpa) said to give him Tylenol and Ibuprofen, alternating, every 4 hours. He had a slight fever on Monday. I remembered the doctor saying that his MMR shot could give him a fever in about 7-8 days. That was last Tuesday. I figured that was it. Yesterday, he was a bit cranky, ate OK, not great, but was getting really warm when we were at my parents for dinner. He was getting really cranky, Grandma held him, but he wanted mommy. We went home early. I got comfy in Paul's rocking chair, he was out making money, and we watched a couple of recorded episodes of "My Friends Tigger and Pooh" and "Handy Manny." He fell asleep an hour early. I changed his diaper and put him to bed. He woke up a little later than usual this morning, but in a pretty good mood. He was actually fine today, didn't eat usual amount, but did an OK job. We went to Red Lobster for dinner, after running an errand. He fussed on the way there, he was getting warm. Paul had a jacket on him, which he really didn't need. I took it off and his fussing toned down a bit. He was happy to get out of the car. He did well during dinner, ate most of his dinner, plus a little mooching off our plates. Towards the end he was ready to go. All he wanted to do was be held when we got home. When Paul went to run his bath water I took his temperature, that's when I got worried. Hopefully, he will respond to the meds. I'm prepared to comfort Eric, if need be, tonight.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a first time mommy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My poor little buddy.
In a few days he'll be wanting to climb (steps, chairs, baskets, cars...) and things will be back to norm.
Just keep the ice cream coming.

Unknown said...

oh yea... like the redecorating.
Now if we can talk about the "mood music"...

Elizabeth said...

Yikes, I'm sorry I'm a few days late, but is Eric doing better? 104 is a scary high fever! But you did all the right things. I am guessing this was what the ER visit was about the other day? I really hope things are going better now, poor little guy!!